The camp leader has general responsibiliy for organising, planning, running and evaluating the camp.
Planning the camp
The camp leaders job is to do the following:
- Plan date and time of the event
- Book facilities, equipment and accomodation.
- Agree on level of food and drink.
- Invite, register and follow up on participants.
- Group formation.
- Appoint camp leader.
- Appoinment with and training of facilitators.
- Appointment with speakers (if necessary).
- Appointment with judges.
- Appointment with professional helpers (if necessary)
- Define creative and innovative methods according to the problem/challenge.
- Detailed script/scenario for the camp.
- Define and get prizes (if any).
- Arrange payment or gifts for external helpers.
- Make a budget.
- Press contact (if any)
- Copy or prepare materials.
The camp leader will be present all through the camp and will be ”connecting the dots” by
- Opening the camp
- Introducing exercises
- Introducing guests
- Presenting prizes
- Closing the camp
Before the camp
Practical things to do for the camp leader before the camp:
- Bring audiovisual aids and make sure they work (projector, screen, black-/whiteboard, flipover).
- Bring slidsshows and laptop.
- Bring camp program in print.
- Bring copied materials.
- Pens, paper, siccors, glue sticks, sticky notes etc.
During the camp
- Check table setting and audivisual aids.
- Check laptop and sound.
- Sort and distribute materials (could be in boxes)
- Check with reception (keys, copying and facilities according to timeplan.
- Check with kitchen (time plan, number of participants, guests).
- Start welcoming slideshow and music on projector.